Subject: Re: [boost] different matrix library?
From: joel (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 05:50:32

Rutger ter Borg wrote:
> Doesn't http://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/ fulfill this purpose?

When it'll output proper C++ with quality optimization, architectural
support, yes.
NT2 compiled C++ is uo to 15 faster than this.
> C++ and .m are quite different. My impression is that people at Boost tend
> to have lengthy discussions about syntax.

As I told earlier in this thread, NT2 was designed to help scientist
whose main tools was Matlab to port their prototype onto parallel machines.
Hence the matlab like syntax. Check what we said we Edward a bit before:
C++ user may be able to use a more C++ interface, scientist - which is
for me main target audience- won't. So the Matlab interface is something
to stay cause no physicist that sometimes don't even know about C++
idioms or lingua will take the time to learn about. They want a tool
that allow fast porting of their Matlab or mapple or mathematica
prototype. And they don't even want to know about fancy CPU or GPU or
clusters. This has to be transparent to us. Matlab is maybe ugly
soemtimes but it gets the job done. Me and my coworker had the chance to
be right next the users of our library and when I look at the code
written with NT2, I maybe can see 1 or 2 that after doign matlab like
for pages switch to STL interface cause they need to feed something to a
iostream_iterator or w/e. For me, in this case of library design, you
have to listen to users, and users want matlab interface.

But I have no problem adding another one. NT2 matrix are already stl
compliant and in NT2 v3, static matrix are even fusion sequence and
support for serialization is planned.

Looking like matlab doesn't preclude other interface on top of it. But I
won't change the base of this.

> Of course :-) A DSL is not written overnight, either. Perhaps setting
> up a .qbk in the sandbox would be useful for this purpose?
You mean ? A tutorial on writting DSL ?

Joel Falcou - Assistant Professor
PARALL Team - LRI - Universite Paris Sud XI
Tel : (+33)1 69 15 66 35