Subject: Re: [boost] different matrix library?
From: joel (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 06:48:41

Rutger ter Borg wrote:
> I thought R, http://www.r-project.org/, is a popular tool in science, too.

Yeah, I pondered going this road too.
> I'm not that convinced a C++ library needs to have a Matlab-like syntax so
> it can easily understood by users coming from Matlab. A translator would do
> the trick, too.

Yes and no. A choice has to be made for the initial interface. We choose
matlab at the time because it was convenient for us.
> I'm certainly interested in such a library, but I'm not sure if Boost would
> be the right forum for it (but let's leave that to the other Boosters).

NT2 is living its live outside boost for now. Well, my initial plan was
to propose to Boost elements of
NT2 that can be reused generically (the SIMD support, memory allocation
strategies and the type identification
system for example). Now, well, as I said, multiple user interface can
coexist anyway so I'm open to suggestion.

I'm not tryign to push my design here but well, we spent 5 years on
this. I was proposing to reuse this expertise but if the OP or other
people want to start from scratch again, well up to you ...
> Coming up with a DSL-syntax for a C++ linear algebra library.
I don't see why a qbk is neede, can't we discuss this here ?

Joel Falcou - Assistant Professor
PARALL Team - LRI - Universite Paris Sud XI
Tel : (+33)1 69 15 66 35