Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review: Boost.Polygon starts today August 24, 2009
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-25 12:20:47

Frank Mori Hess wrote:
> Maybe the above isn't relevant to Boost.Polygon though, as I'm having
> difficulty telling what the library does from the online docs. A full
> tutorial instead of just a list of commented example code files might
> help new users a lot. Also, I cant find any documentation on what
> the names of the library's header files are or what they each contain.

What the library does is provide the core set of algorithms a person would need to write a CAD application for working with 2D polygons. Perhaps you will find the presentation from boostcon illuminating, since the link in the doc

There are a large number of header files. The header files in the boost/polygon directory are named in a way that should match what the documentation is talking about. For example, if you read a page about polygon_set_concept you will find a header file named polygon_set_concept.hpp. I have most of the algorithmic detail in the boost/polygon/detail directory. Many of the definitions of functions are inline in the header files under boost/polygon that declare the API, which is common practice in boost libraries. Reading the header files is not a good way to learn what the library does and how to use it. The intention was to document all the interfaces so that people would not need to dive into the header files to use the library. If you think it would be helpful I can add references to the relevant header files throughout the documentation.

Thanks,
Luke