Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review: Boost.Polygon starts today August 24, 2009
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-25 12:55:27

Hi,

Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
> Andreas Fabri wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In the BoostCon paper you make a benchmark with, among others, the
>> Boolean operations
>> of CGAL, the Computational Geometry Algorithms Library. Which of the
>> following
>> two packages did you use:
>> -
>> http://www.cgal.org/Manual/beta/doc_html/cgal_manual/Boolean_set_operations_2/Chapter_main.html
>>

> This one.
>
> My friend Barend Gehrels [Barend.Gehrels_at_[hidden]] also has several countires for the geographic database that CGAL fails on. You might be able to get them from him quite easily.

I confirm that I've done a benchmark using several geometry libraries,
including Boost.Polygon, CGAL and ggl. It is not yet published. But I
will give some feedback soon, also in the scope of this Formal Review. I
encountered some counties not being accepted by CGAL, but lateron
discovered that some (at least one county) was indeed invalid. So I have
to recheck what is the problem there and in the other cases, the
shapefile or the library. I will come back to this.

>> I would be glad to check your claim that CGAL failed on one of your
>> data sets.
>> Are your benchmark testdrivers for the various libs under the boost
>> svn, or can you
>> post them, or send them in a private mail.

Regards, Barend