Subject: Re: [boost] geodetic library
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-28 06:19:19

DE wrote:
> is there a need for subj?
>
> i implemented very accurate direct and inverse geodetic problem
> routines (as well as geocentric (X, Y, Z) to geodetic (B, L, H) conversion)
> i used bessel's method to derive the formulas
> 6 iterations for both direct and inverse routines is enough to get
> full double precision
> that is 1mm accuracy regardless of range (i.e. range = 1m..20000km)
> to get acceptable accuracy, say, 2 iterations is enough (or even 1)
>
> however there are several other aspects uncovered (area and perimeter,
> projections, etc.)

There is a very good and widely used library called PROJ.4 (libproj or
libproj4) that touches this subject:

http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/

Recently, OSGeo Foundation has launched new initiative called MetaCRS.
Details are here:

http://metacrs.osgeo.org/

I believe it would be highly beneficial if potentially new project
Boost.Geodetic was interested in collaboration with OSGeo Foundation.
The OSGeo can provide professionals experienced in development of such
software.

Best regards,