Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review: Boost.Polygon starts today August 24, 2009
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-28 16:50:20

Michael Fawcett wrote:
> Shows both operator| and operator+ as being the same thing - a boolean
> OR between two polygons.
>
> If there is some precedent for this, I accept, but if there isn't, I
> would much rather prefer a single way of doing things. I suggest
> dropping operator+ and operator*. Their counterparts make much more
> sense to me.

The minus operation is "-" and the xor operation is "^", so neither arithmetic operators nor logic operators cover all common operations.

But I agree that the logic operators are more intuitive than the arithmetic operators. And "A-B" should be equivalent to "A & not(B)", so the logic operators should be sufficient, at least in theory.