Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.MapReduce: what next?
From: Philippe Vaucher (philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-31 08:29:10

> There has, however, been little interest in the library so far from Boost
>> users/developers which surprises me. I don't know if that is because of
>> the
>> single-machine limitation and people don't see any value that MR can bring
>> to multi-threaded programming?
>>

> People are maybe lacking perspective on the problem. One thing that can be
> beneficial is solving a real life problem with your library and show the
> payback.

I definitly agree.Concepts like map-reduce are still at the state of "heard
of" for a lot of developpers, most of them think "it's a nice idea" but when
they need concurrency their immediate real-world thinking is basic threads.
Showing simple tasks solved the classic way and the map-reduce way, showing
the pros/cons of each approach would be a nice thing to have.

Philippe