Subject: Re: [boost] boost::regex Library crashes in MSVC8.0
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-01 12:13:06

> I am Boost novice and am trying to build a sample application from boost
> examples. The following is the environment details
>
> OS: Winxp sp2.
> Boost version : 1.40.0
> Compiler / IDE : MSVC8.0/ Visual Studio 2005
>
> I built the boost libraries using the above compiler using the bjam.exe
> tool
> and installed boost using the same tool(bjam.exe install). When I run the
> program(given below) by linking against libboost_regex-vc80-mt-1_39.lib
> with
> the following define flags(/D BOOST_REGEX_MATCH_EXTRA /D
> BOOST_REGEX_NO_LIB), I get a crash with the following message

In order to use BOOST_REGEX_MATCH_EXTRA, then you must compile the regex
library with that flag set: otherwise the library will *not* be binary
compatible with your code (see
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_40_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/captures.html#boost_regex.captures.repeated_captures)

Also why set BOOST_REGEX_NO_LIB? IMO it's way to easy to select the wrong
library variant if you do it by hand, the auto-linking feature is there for
a reason :-)

HTH, John.