Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review: Boost.Polygon
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-06 20:46:47

Phil Endecott wrote:
> I am pleased to be able to review this important library. Boost
> would definitely benefit from the addition of a geometry library of
> the right sort.
>
> I am certainly not a geometry expert, but I have written a number of
> things in the
> last few years that use geometry in GUIs and for geographic data. I
> have written this
> review as a potential user by evaluating how well it would work in a
> couple of example
> applications.
>
> My experience over all has been a little disappointing. I think this
> is mainly because
> I had very high hopes for the library. The reality has not quite met
> my expectations.
> As I will explain in detail below, my complaints are mainly things
> like excessive warnings and odd misfeatures in the interface. These
> are all things
> that could be
> fixed, and they perhaps only indicate that the library has arrived a
> little prematurely. Based only on these issues my verdict would be
> that that
> the library
> could be accepted after some revisions. But we must also look at the
> bigger picture,
> i.e. the existence of other competing libraries "in the wings". I
> will
> discuss this
> after describing my practical evaluation.

Thank you, Phil, for your detailed review. I am most grateful that you spent so much time to evaluate my library. I don't know how I could have gotten feedback as detailed and valuable as you provided without a formal review. A few weeks ago I came up with an observation about boost: participating in the boost community is ultimately uplifting precisely because it is humbling. It is still true.

Thanks again,
Luke