Subject: Re: [boost] [warnings] Are warnings acceptable artifactsfrom builds?
From: Kenny Riddile (kfriddile_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-08 17:10:57

Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>>> I disagree. Warnings are a personal conversation between the compiler
>>> and the author of the code. They are nobody else's business.
>>>
>> That statement seems to conflict with your argument against fixing/silencing
>> warnings in library code. For example, I am not the author of
>> Boost.Exception, therefore any warnings emitted by it are none of my
>> business. According to what you just said, the only person who should ever
>> see warnings emitted by Boost.Exception is you.
>
> Yes, so don't look at any warnings in Boost.Exception :P
>
> Emil Dotchevski
> Reverge Studios, Inc.
> http://www.revergestudios.com/reblog/index.php?n=ReCode

If that was an option, I would certainly follow that advice :)
Unfortunately, when sifting through warnings emitted by code of which I
AM the author, warnings from library code will inevitably scroll across
my screen, be projected onto my retinas, and become my "business"
whether I like it or not. Then there's also the fairly common case of
warnings-as-errors/highest-warning-level which needs no explanation.
What you're suggesting simply isn't possible. A fair alternative would
be to have a list of acceptable warnings (assignment operator could not
be generated, etc.), and mandate that no other warnings be emitted by
Boost libraries on supported compilers.