Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] revision 50756 failed to merge some file properties
From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-08 17:20:57

troy d. straszheim <troy <at> resophonic.com> writes:

> JOAQUIN M. LOPEZ MUÑOZ wrote:
> >
> > Unless fixed, this is going to pop up again when the release
> > manager prepares for 1.41.
> >

> This should be fixed in r56113, apologies about this and thanks
> for the notice.

Thank you for taking care.

> I suppose there is some question whether it makes sense to keep this
> stuff in release/trunk or not, as it is apparently only used by end
> users and packagers; I take no pleasure in making the release process
> more difficult than it is;

IMHO if some specific material (CMake stuff in this case)
is going to be delivered, then it *has* to be deployed
and maintained in trunk just as anything else; this particular
quirk was just that, a quirk, I wouldn't extract far-fetched
consequences from it.

> there is no point in maintaining cmakefiles
> on the trunk if they are not used by people working on/against the
> trunk; the 1.40 release didn't work out of the box, the patched
> 'cmakeable' 1.40 distribution is elsewhere.

I guess what's caused that problem is that CMake-stuff is
not being automatically tested like the rest of material
in Boost. If you manage to get a toolset to build with
CMake rather than the standard Boost.Build, the CMake
material would be as easily maintainable as any other
Boost feature. Whether it has to be you or the authors
who respond to failures, this is probably another matter.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo