Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Windows long paths (and also API differences)
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-08 20:57:01

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Adam Badura<abadura_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>   In a simple test program I used create_directories with long path (longer
> then MAX_PATH being equal to 260 on my machine).
>   ANSI version (for char) threw an exception but before reaching MAX_PATH
> (somewhere around 255 characters however I did not test exactly).
>   UNICODE version (for wchar_t) created as many directories as it could (as
> many as would make ANSI version not throw) and skipped rest without throwing
> anything.

Could you post your "simple test program"?

>   This seems bad. Why is it so? And is the MAX_PATH file system limitation
> on Windows or is it just a limitation for some API functions?

Windows has various rules, depending on the version, exact syntax
used, etc. Thus it would help if you could be much more specific
about the problem you are having, version of operating system, etc.

>   Also by the way I wanted to ask why signatures of many functions differ
> from the documentation. For example no function takes error code parameter
> and thus always throws on failure (excluding the above example...). In some
> places I would prefer to have that parameter instead. Also copy_file does
> not take the third parameter allowing it to do replacing.
>   Why is it so?

It sounds like you are trying to use the V3 documentation from the
sandbox with the current 1.40.0 V2 release. That's a non-starter.

--Beman