Subject: Re: [boost] Are warnings acceptable artifacts from builds?
From: Maciej Sobczak (prog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-09 09:19:32

Vinnie wrote:
>>From http://sqlite.org/testing.html#coverage

> Static analysis has not proven to be helpful in finding bugs.

Considering that they use plain C, it is not very surprising that their
"static analysis" by use of mild warning options has not proven to be
helpful.

> Our experience, then, [...]

Without even attempting a *real* static analysis, referring to
"experience" is a bit misplaced. Just my very humble opinion.

Back to topic: warnings should disappear at least from headers,
*whenever possible*.
Without real code separation between modules in C++, user applications
are affected by library code. If a given user has a strict policy of not
having *any* warnings during their build, then that policy is enough to
prevent them from using Boost. I'm pretty sure that this scenario is not
something that library authors would easily accept.

Regards,

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com