Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Breakable] Any interest in a Boost Breakable library?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-09 10:37:26

Pierre Morcello wrote:

> 0/ just a side note.
[snip]
> So the name of the function, must be chosen
> carefully to suppress any doubt from the reader.

Of course.

> 1/
> One side effect in your approach is that it forces the user
> to declare the function in the .h. If there is no use to
> reuse the code (because it is extremely specific to the
> function), then you are polluting the .h with things that are
> not information specific to the class, but only to one function.

Not true. Even if the original code in question is in a member function, the other functions need not be so.

> 2/
> If I have to declare the function in the .h, I may end
> writing : "void _myfuntion_findLoadedMeshes()" in private,
> with a doxygen description on top of it. Why such a
> description if the code is 'self explanatory'? The reason is
> : each of my function got a set of preconditions to tests,
> sometimes post conditions, and I would not ask someone to
> maintain a system without these informations. Without these
> comments, I suppose I will also end asserting everything in
> the code I already already tested back in the 'parent'
> function. As a matter of fact I have already seen guys who
> were testing a boolean member as a precondition to see if the
> function was called just after the 'supposed previous call'.
> So there is a need to restrain the use of the 'sub-function'
> to the 'parent function' only.

If the subfunction must be a member, then it must be declared in the class definition. I don't begin to understand why it must be documented for Doxygen. Implementation details should not be documented for users.

For preconditions and postconditions of implementation detail functions, I rely on assertions. Documentation can easily become dated and the maintainers can easily follow the assertion logic.

> My conclusion on this 'keep the h clean' part is : if the
> 'sub-part' is big or to be reused, 'function split' (as you
> proposed) or even aggregation is the way to go. If the
> sub-part is very specific and 'middle-big', a local struct
> with methods is much nicer. In the last case, if the
> 'sub-part' is little and very specific, you will appreciate
> the 'Breakable' idiom.

I haven't argued that your "Breakable" idiom is a bad idea for all cases, but I did address the specific example you cited and showed a very readable alternative that avoided the "Breakable" approach.

> 3/ possible errors creation during subfunction writing.
> When you write the 'Breakable', you are only writing 1 line.
> It is very hard to write something wrong at that level.
> When you declare the subfunctions, you have to declare the
> parameters, also gives them meaningfull names. Most of the
> time, let say I have between 2 or 3 parameters to give to the
> subfunction. 1 time out of 3 I have a std container to
> transmit. Someone with less experience than me (or myself
> when I am tired) could write "bool
> find_loaded_meshes(std::set<Mesh*> _meshes)" and forgetting
> the & in the definition. Then copy/pasting the result to
> write quickier its declaration, it stays the same. Then, if
> the function is just checking things inside the container,
> you got a real performance hit for free. Otherwise you will
> find this error soon when it bugs.
> So conclusion on that point is : this will take you more time
> and length to code, and is more prone to some errors (even if
> they are rare / not tragic).

I've never found such problems to be common among my peers or in my own code. If your cadre is prone to such things, then it is a real concern. However, your approach increases coupling and decreases cohesion. There are always tradeoffs and one must balance the forces as appropriate to a given context.

> 4/ People write a function when they need one, not in order
> to manage a syntax problem. You supposed I don't know when I
> should write a function. Well, as a matter of fact, the
> problem is the other way round : I am studying the case when
> the user knows he does not need any function at that point,
> and he only needs syntactic sugar.

I write a function whenever it makes my code clearer, reduces coupling, increases cohesion, increases reuse, etc. Syntactic sugar is a nice thing to have when it doesn't cause cavities.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]