Subject: Re: [boost] Are warnings acceptable artifacts from builds?
From: Daniel Hulme (st_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-11 03:39:56

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 05:54:13AM -0700, Vinnie wrote:
> >From http://sqlite.org/testing.html#coverage
>
> "Static analysis means analyzing code at or before compile-time to
> check for correctness. Static analysis consists mostly of making sure
> SQLite compiles without warnings, even when all warnings are enabled.

> We cannot call to mind a single problem in SQLite that was detected by
> static analysis that was not first seen by one of the other testing
> methods described above.

It sounds like they're saying that no SQLite developer has ever made a
change (even locally) that resulted in the code failing to compile. It
sounds like they're saying the type-checker has never informed them of a
bug in their code - I know C's type system is hardly worthy of the name,
but still, these are pretty impressive claims. I don't think I can even
claim to have worked on a project for a day without the compiler
informing me of a problem in my code like the wrong number of *'s,
assigning a value to a variable of the wrong type, forgetting the
closing brace, or something similar; and I know I'm not a particularly
error-prone programmer.

--
"So long  as we  avoid  accepting  as true  what is  not so,  and always
preserve the right order of deduction  of one thing from another,  there