Subject: Re: [boost] MSVC decorators still in autoconfig?
From: Stephan Menzel (stephan.menzel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-11 10:19:27

Volodya,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Vladimir Prus
<vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I am just about to migrate to 1.40 and I noticed the changed naming scheme.
>
> No change was meant on windows.

Well, I patch the libs a little (very little) and also need some cxx
defines for the MS compiler to work properly so I usually build boost
myself. After I did this on linux and windows with 1.40 today, I
noticed that all the decorators in the filenames were gone. I saw your
note in the release notes so I wasn't too surprised.

So instead of let's say

boost_system-vc80-mt-1_40.lib

I got

boost_system-mt.lib

On linux I could restore some of the decorators using --layout=tagged like this:

bjam --layout=tagged variant=release,debug threading=multi
cxxflags="myflags" link=shared stage

But on windows it's still only the short version. I suppose you have
your reasons for that even though I can't see them. Anyway, I tried to
adjust my build system and it's OK so far but in MSVC I see boost
still trying to link against the decorated version on the filename.

>> So the TOOLSET and BOOST_LIB_VERSION defines are missing when I build
>> the libs
>
> Where are they missing?

They are defined in auto_link.hpp but missing in the filenames bjam
created. So MSVC tries to autolink against nonexistant files.

>> Is this a bug or am I overlooking something important?
>
> Can you specify some more details of what you doing and what errors you get?

Well, I got something along the lines of "cannot link against
boost_system-vc80-mt-1_40.lib" because this filename is wrong now. It
used to be right though so I thought you may have forgotten to change
the autolink feature as well after changing the build system output.

I 'repaired' the autolink myself by just removing the defines out of
the auto_link.hpp and it works but I doubt this would work out of the
box for anyone.

If indeed no change was meant on windows (which would be good IMHO)
then the build system gave me wrong filenames for some reason. Would
that explain anything?

Cheers,
Stephan