Subject: Re: [boost] [pool] Thread specific pool allocator
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-13 21:40:20

I would also look at Intel's TBB and compare performance. You may find that
it is a drop-in replacement that is both faster and more general.

I wrote a fast allocator some time ago, using regions and a no-op dealloc,
and thread-local storage as required. Although it was indeed faster than
TBB, it was less general and the difference was only 1.6x faster on MSVC.

In summary, before making any suggestions about allocation schemes, I
recommend doing some benchmarking and providing results first. If you are
interested you may like to get some ideas from my memory allocation
benchmarking code *http://tinyurl.com/qvyxvu* and *http://tinyurl.com/l89llq
.*

Regards,
Christian