Subject: Re: [boost] [BGL] Multithread problem inserting edges and exploring the same graph
From: Herve Bronnimann (hervebronnimann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-15 09:31:43

Cosimo: if you've got one thread that reads and one that modifies your
adjacency list, you must protect your graph with a (per vertex)
Mutex. If you insist that you are not accessing the same edges at the
same time, you still must. If you insist you are not accessing the adj
lists at the same time, then maybe (but I doubt you can make that
guarantee and the fact you crash means that you probably aren't).

If you go all listS (both tmpl args) you still must use a mutex unless
you somehow hack BGL to use lockfree lists. I doubt anyone has ever
done that.

You seem to think the crash is because of invalidation of iterators.
It isn't. It's because of the lack of synchronization between your
threads.

HB

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Cosimo Calabrese <cosimo.calabrese_at_[hidden]