Subject: [boost] Boost on MSVC without Microsoft Extensions
From: Craig Henderson (cdm.henderson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-17 16:03:17

I am trying to build a client program using Boost on MSVC8 with the "Disable
Language Extensions" /Za compilation flag.

visual.hpp contains the following code

// disable Win32 API's if compiler extentions are

// turned off:

//

#ifndef _MSC_EXTENSIONS

# define BOOST_DISABLE_WIN32

#endif

win32.hpp contains:

#ifndef BOOST_DISABLE_WIN32

// WEK: Added

#define BOOST_HAS_FTIME

#define BOOST_WINDOWS 1

#endif

So, the preprocessor defines BOOST_DISABLE_WIN32 and doesn't define
BOOST_WINDOWS. This doesn't sound right, and causes problems with Boost.ASIO
where the Windows header files are conditionally included using

#if defined(BOOST_WINDOWS) || defined(__CYGWIN__)

which clearly evaluates FALSE.

I consider this a bug in the boost config compiler detection rather than the
asio library. Has anyone compiled with /ZA on MSVC?

Thanks

-- Craig

Craig Henderson

 <http://craighenderson.co.uk/> http://www.craighenderson.co.uk