Subject: Re: [boost] [BGL] Multithread problem inserting edges and exploring the same graph
From: Christoph Heindl (christoph.heindl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-20 15:25:32

Cosimo,

Here are some ideas:
Do you need all of the properties in the explorer threads? maybe you
can construct a somewhat cheap copy of the graph of just vertices,
edges and weights?

When each explorer thread runs an instance of Dijkstra you might
consider a parallel version of Dijkstra [1,2] working on disjoint
graph regions? That might allow you to cut the graph into pieces and
assigning a 'local' version of the graph to each explorer thread and
joining them later on?

[1] http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~itf/dbpp/text/node35.html
[2] J. McHugh, Algorithmic Graph Theory

Unfortunately I'm not used to Boost.BGL so I don't know if any of the
suggested methods will work.

Best regards,
Christoph