Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: Boost.Itl; The Interval Template Library
From: Markus Werle (numerical.simulation_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-21 06:40:28

Joachim Faulhaber <afojgo <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Dear developers,
>
> the Interval Template Library is now in a state
> where I think it does conform the requirements
> and guidelines for boost libraries fairly well.

Actually I am very unlucky with the name "itl".

1. Any boost library is using templates, so using "Template" in the library
name is somewhat redundant. Same with "Library". All boost components
are libraries, except Boost.Build and Boost.Book

Remains "Interval" which is already in use:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_40_0/libs/numeric/interval/doc/interval.htm

Can you please take the time to explain the difference in math and
aim of the lib compared to Boost.Interval?

2. ITL is already in use for the iterative template library
http://www.osl.iu.edu/research/itl/
which has functionality that should enter boost within the next decade - IMHO.
(Where its name will be "iterative"? or "krylov_subspace_methods"? ...)

My plea: Try to find a unique name, not something that gives you
4.710.000 hits on google.

Besides that I find your library promising and will try to use it
in a future project.

best regards,

Markus