Subject: [boost] threads: linking on OSX
From: David M. Cotter (me_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-02 02:53:57

I followed the instructions from here:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_40_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html#prepare-to-use-a-boost-library-binary

and it spent a bunch of time compiling everything. no errors. yay.

so then i go to link my program, i added <boost dir>/stage/lib/
libboost_thread.a to my project, cuz that's how you static link,
right? where <boost dir> is the location of the boost installation

but it says:

<boost dir>/bin.v2/libs/thread/build/darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-
multi/libboost_thread.dylib, file is not of required architecture

Undefined symbols:
     <long list of all the boost symbols i used>

interesting that even by adding the .a file, it went and found the
dylib? is that normal? anyway, wrong architecture?? how do i make
it build universal? (PPC plus intel? and what's with the missing
symbols?

i'm not really a n00b, i just appear to be one today.