Subject: Re: [boost] [rdb] 0.11
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-04 18:22:12

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Louis Leroy" <jl_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 10:38 PM

> > If you pretend to propose RDB to Boost why don't use the sandbox?
> > Vicente
>
> Because I often work disconnected from the internet, and I got used to
> distributed scms like BitKeeper and Darcs. I want to be able to record
> small changes while on the train to work for example. And I don't like
> Subversion. Have you used Darcs? In my case, I cannot help but to find
> svn absolutely silly, e.g. the way it crushes all the changesets
> accumulated in a branch into a single changeset when you merge the branch.

I don't know neither BitKeeper nor Darcs.

Well, Subversion is the current choice of the Boost community. The Boost community has moved from CVS to subversion recently. This mean that we could change one day to other SCM. Subversion have as other SCM his + and his -. I will no enter in evaluation of what I don't know now.

But, the main advantage to use the Sandbox is that any member of the boost community could follow your work, particimate in the same project, help you by checking, testing, ... If each member of the Boost comunity use a different SCM, all of us will need to install all of them. This is a major drawback IMHO.

At the end, if your library is proposed and accepted, you should use Subversion.
Anyway, you are free to use the tool you prefer for your specific repository.

I was just trying to help, it was just an idea.

Best,
Vicente