Subject: Re: [boost] Looking for a name for a Subjet-Entity-Role library
From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-05 06:11:52

2009/10/5 Vicente Botet Escriba <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>:

> Joachim Faulhaber wrote:
>>
>> 2009/10/4 vicente.botet <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm developing a library based on the Object Role pattern. The library
>>> use the following concepts: Entity, Role, Subject, Cloture. Its main goal
>>> is to help on subjetive programming. I was started to name this library
>>> SER (for Subject-Entity-Role).
>>>
>>> Any sugestions for the name of the library, 'Subjetive', 'SER'?
>>
>> Boost.Role
>>
>> Cheers, Joachim
>>
> Hi,
>
> Role should be OK.

Hi Vicente,

with Boost.Role, I think you are in naming paradise :-)

(1) Role is THE single word that is the most important aspect or the lib.
    Very intuitive.
(2) Role is a natural word and no acronym.
(3) Because of (1) and (2) it is extremely easy to memorize.
(4) It is *short* so the namespace identifier is short (I hate long
    namespace qualified names).
(5) It is almost it's own acronym
   role : *R*ole *O*bject *L*ibrary *e*h? Or more pathetic
        The Boost *R*ole *O*bject *L*ibrari*e*s

How lucky you are, I wish I had such an ideal name as replacement for *itl*.

> If the namespace is role, and as I have a role class, is
> the following readable
>
> class Employee: public boost::role::role<Employee, PersonRole>?

Smart as you are you found a tiny drawback of the name.
Well yes, readability suffers a little bit. But this is the *only*
class name that is affected by this repetition effect.
I could easily live with that...

... or you choose ...

Boost.Roles

        The Boost *R*ole *O*bject *L*ibrari*es*

Ha!

class Employee: public boost::roles::role<Employee, PersonRole>

Cheers, Joachim