Subject: [boost] custom async devices
From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-07 04:46:02

Recently I had a question about how I could use
asio for performing asynchroneous file IO.

In the meantime I found that there are already some
classes for doing async_read_at IO on handles,
but only for windows. Since I need to address multiple
platforms I am wondering how I would go about
that.

I am thinking of an emulation layer in user-space
based on threads.
I guess I could set up a thread-pool that will
accept async call ins. The thread pool would
know about an io_service and when a task, e.g.
a file IO has completed, use the post function
on the io_service to invoke the completion handler.

Is this a reasonable design?
Any pros/cons?

Does anyone know of an example that I could use
as a starter?

Thank you,
Roland

  _  _  | Roland Schwarz aka. speedsnail