Subject: Re: [boost] [1.41] Build files locations, try 3
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-14 18:07:03

Eric Niebler wrote:
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
>> Unless somebody takes over maintenance of cmake in SVN, I'm going to
>> remove cmake from trunk and release in the next couple of days, before
>> 1.41 gets frozen. The reasoning was explained in previous threads.
>> We cmakers are alive and well and have a good system for creating
>> cmakeable distributions in the weeks after each release.
>
> Troy, I must have missed those previous threads. Can you send a link or
> summarize the discussion for me? I'd like to know why we're regressing
> our cmake efforts on trunk and release.

This is really just a decoupling of unnecessarily coupled workflows.
Once a release of boost exists, it is then efficient to tune up the
cmakefiles for a boost-cmake release.

One can't, for instance, right now start committing to the cmakefiles on
the release branch (in anticipation of 1.41) because it is disruptive,
setting off bells in an inspect script somewhere, I've done this several
times already. AFAICT the fix is to maintain cmake on the trunk as
well, which increases the workload significantly for no gain (nobody
uses it there). Also, several bugs (cmake bugs) will likely come up in
the weeks following the release, and with a separate release loop it is
easy to fix them and get patch releases out.

-t