Subject: Re: [boost] The C++ Post-Processor
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-20 05:59:19

Christian Schladetsch wrote:

> Why has the PP received so little attention over the years, from its early
> use as M4?

There is a library around the C preprocessor in Boost,
Boost.Preprocessor (or Boost.PP, depending on how you want to call it).

It allows to do very powerful things and it is the most advanced usage
of the C preprocessor I've seen.

It is widely used by most Boost libraries.

> We have Boost.Wave to start with... Why not give it real Expressions? Loops?
> Scopes? Classes? Templates? memory management? IO?

Expressions, loops, scopes can already be done.
For classes, just use tuples.

Templates and memory management don't make much sense; IO can be done in
terms of #warning or something like that.

> Is there any interest in a Boost.C++ ?

You mean an implementation of C++, implemented as a post-processor over
another compiler, that would add new features?

I believe this could be interesting, but mainly to fix deficiencies or
to add future standard features not available in compilers yet.