Subject: Re: [boost] [random] seeding with arbitrary integers
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-22 14:05:32

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Steven Watanabe wrote:
>
>> AMDG
>>
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>
>>> Also, I found the documentation not good enough in general. I did
>>> make it work but it wasn't as easy to use as I would have hoped.
>>> Of course I could make the same criticism for many or most
>>> libraries.
>>>

>> Do you have any specific issues?
>>

> Since you asked. I think my problem is in the very first section
> under the title "Boost Random Number Library".
>
> I expected to find and example like:
>
> normal_distribution nd<int>(mean, standard_deviation)
> int random_number = nd();

Funny you mention this. We were just having a discussion
on IRC about boost documentation for some libraries. I think
Robert is right on track. Many libraries are very rich is
concept descriptions but lack a point of reference to
start with. I'm sure it makes perfect sense for those who
are intimate with purpose and guts of the library... but
concepts alone leave you floundering for some time trying
to hang the abstract on something concrete as you digest
the possibilities.

Having a simple example makes reading through the concepts
so much easier. It provides a use-case for getting your
bearings on what this library might do and how you might
do it. Looking at concepts after and example enriches my
understanding of the library.

michael

--
Michael Caisse