Subject: Re: [boost] Boost policy for putting headers in boost/ Was: #3541 Support <boost/ptr_map.hpp>
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-23 11:39:54

Christopher Jefferson wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2009, at 16:04, Stewart, Robert wrote:
>
> >> I very rarely tab-complete header file names, and I suspect most
> >> users
> >
> > Your usage patterns are limited to your coworkers and your
> > environment. Mine suggests that there are a great many people who
> > use tab completion constantly.
>
> Out of interest, why do you assume I only know about my
> coworkers and
> environment, whereas you know about a great many people who are
> annoyed by tab completion failing?

I made no such claim. I asserted my annoyance. You claimed to know that most users would not do so. I refuted your claim as being based upon your personal experience. I then asserted my own personal experience as being at least partly contrary to your own.

> I don't think the majority of boost
> users would ever look inside the boost include directory from the
> command line, any more than they would look at their standard
> library's headers.

I don't know why you think you can make such a claim. I know that I have done so on many occasions. As you might have gleaned from my previous posts, the tab completion functionality is not limited to command lines anyway.

> > Consequently, we can't favor one over the other if a neutral
> > solution is possible.
>
> What is the neutral solution?

I'm not sure, but I was arguing against your claims that using all.hpp was the better solution and for considering all issues when making a choice.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]