Subject: Re: [boost] Preliminary submission: generic linear algebra algorithms library Boost LA
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-23 14:28:46

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:28 AM, Thomas Klimpel
<Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Just tell me that higher dimensional tensors are clearly out of scope of the library, and everything is fine.

Ah I see. The honest answer is, I don't know, I have never used tensors.

You can ask another similar question: what if someone needs vectors
but not matrices? This is not an abstract question, I have written
such programs. I have been very careful in organizing the header files
-- if you don't include matrix headers from (Boost) LA, you don't get
any matrix stuff in your code (and if this statement is ever found to
be wrong, I would treat that situation as a bug.)

I would say that *if* tensors can be implemented without adding *any*
weight to a use case where they are not needed, then perhaps they
should be part of the library. From this abstract point of view, I am
not sure I have a reasonable answer to the question "why stop at 2."

However I don't feel qualified to make that call.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.