Subject: Re: [boost] Boost policy for putting headers in boost/ Was: #3541 Support <boost/ptr_map.hpp>
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-26 07:36:23

on Fri Oct 23 2009, "Stewart, Robert" <Robert.Stewart-AT-sig.com> wrote:

> I understand that switching to <libdir>/all.hpp is a breaking change
> for those libraries neatly arranged like Fusion,

It doesn't have to be. boost/fusion.hpp could be left in place as a
backward compatibility measure.

> but I think the result will be cleaner. If the end result is thought
> sufficiently valuable, then the sooner the change is made, the fewer
> libraries will be broken. Delay just means more libraries may follow
> Fusion's lead and there will be more breakage. Thus, Boost needs to
> choose sooner than later.

I agree. We need to make sure we've thought the problem through, but
after that, if we agree on a change, we should move boldly.

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing