Subject: Re: [boost] boost.math
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 05:29:11

Behalf Of
> rodrigue pons
> Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:49 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: [boost] boost.math

> i need to implement the computation of huges series. These series are
> made of floats, and thus the error propagates.
> The problem is that the main constrain is the execution time, thus i
> must use the more "native" type possible.
> Is boost.math offer a solution to minimize this error? Which type of
> float (float, double, any structure?) must i use?

I feel sure that in raw compute speed, hardware built-in float and double will
be fastest, and probably double as fast as float.

More precise types like NTL RR and GMP are usually *very* much slower, but the
improved precision might make them worth it.

But I suspect that you will only find out which is best by trying it out on the
hardware you have available.

At least the Boost.Math makes changing float type quite easy :-)

HTH - FWIW

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow