Subject: Re: [boost] New boost packaging suggestion for windows
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 13:30:10

on Wed Oct 28 2009, Julian Bangert <jbangert-AT-acm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> yesterday I tried to download the boostpro binaries for windows and I had to download
> over a gigabyte to get all configurations for VS 2008.
> Sadly the version also was outdated

We've finally released a 1.40 installer today. I don't expect to see a delay
like this one again; sorry for the wait.

> and in general not that great ( e.g. Installer
> quite bad to handle

Specifically?

> and you have to register to download ) .

That's not a huge problem is it?

> So I decided to build from source and package it for a few friends who also needed
> these binaries. I managed to compress boost_1_40 ( no source except headers, no python
> AFAIK , but everything else you get with a standard build ) from over 900MB down to
> 37MB by using 7z.

We ship .zip files over the wire. Everything that the installer can
install, including all variants of all libraries for 3 different
compilers, tools, and source, for 1.40.0 comes to 360M. I know 7zip
does better, but it's not an order of magnitude.

> I uploaded it here https://obliviononline.com/pub/boost/boost_1_40_0.7z .
> Should boost use this form of releasing binaries in the future for
> windows ?

That's not a bad idea. Of course, if we could integrate 7(un-)zip into
our installer, that too would keep the download size way down.

> Alternatively, you could endorse this form, like boostpro is endorsed
> right now and I could host it on google code, etc .
> An easy to set up ( just unzip this file ) binary distribution would make compiling
> boost-dependent software much easier.
> I would be willing to distribute future releases compatible with VS 2005 and 2008 in
> this form.

I'm willing to reference anything in the Boost getting started guide
that will be provided *reliably*.

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing