Subject: Re: [boost] Official warnings policy?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-04 14:18:58

AMDG

Zachary Turner wrote:
> That aside, should we consider how to deal with #pragma warning(disable) in
> MSVC (do other compilers have similar pragmas)? Should it be disallowed?

No. The majority of warnings that I see from Boost are just noise.
Sometimes these are really annoying to get rid of without #pragmas.

> Otherwise it's all too easy for a library maintainer who doesn't want to
> fix a certain warning to just stick a pragma in there to disable it.

I don't think its a good idea to make rules assuming that library
maintainers are going to irresponsibly suppress serious warnings.
If this happens a lot we can worry about it then--but I think
we'd have more serious problems than warnings at that point.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe