Subject: Re: [boost] Official warnings policy?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-05 04:41:11

> Even the problems reported by -pedantic are not necessarily real problems.
> For example, it's a huge pain to use long long with -pedantic, even though
> all uses in boost should be protected by #ifdefs.

The problem is that long long is still present and perfectly usable
with -pedantic: you just get tons of warnings. However, we do have the
machinery to fix these warnings: Boost.Math should compile and test cleanly
with -pedantic (or /W4 with MSVC) in spite of extensive long long usage, and
even the pesky integer_traits.hpp is clean now in Trunk, albeit with a
gcc-specific hack. That gives the user the option to use long long or not
in their code and still see these warnings if they want them, without
getting swamped from page after page of template instantiations from Boost.

John.