Subject: Re: [boost] [function] "paranoia" vs efficiency
From: Domagoj Saric (dsaritz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-07 12:03:44

> I'm very surprised to hear that... perhaps you used the default MSVC++
> settings which IIRC don't include RTTI?

RTTI defaults to "On" since msvc++ 8.0 ...
...and yes with rtti on boost::function<> still produced a larger binary...
msvc++ tr1 function<> did add one or two rtti records more (if rtti is left
enabled) but, as i elaborated in my first post, it turns out this is actually a
less important issue (relatively speaking)...maybe it would become more
important for projects/binaries with a large number of different function<>
instantiations (comparing to the relatively few i tested with) because the much
more complex/'bloated' boost::function<> 'throw bad_function_call' machinery
(as compared to the same 'machinery' in mscv++ tr1 function<>) would become
less important (as atleast some parts of it are 'allocated' only once/not part
of the template)...but the template bloat issues i outlined in my first post
would still prevail significantly (over a larger number of rtti records, which
can be turned off if you do not use rtti otherwise)...

ps. i don't know, is a topic name change in order? like a request for a mini
review or something...

--
 "That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most
important of all the lessons of history."