Subject: Re: [boost] [iostreams] building zlib from source
From: Alexander Arhipenko (arhipjan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-09 05:18:34

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Vladimir Prus
<vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I am working on improving detection of external dependencies (for 1.42),
> and I've noticed that the iostreams library is rather smart when it comes
> to building zlib (and bz2). It allows the user to specify either:
>
> - location of headers and libraries files, or
> - location of sources for zlib
>
> In the latter case, the sources will be compiled automatically.
>
> How important is the second use case? It's not very hard to support,
> and appears handy for Windows users, but if in practice, nobody cares,
> I can spend the time on other matters.
>
> Thanks,
> Volodya

Hi, Volodya.
We use the second case in our company when linking to iostreams on
windows platforms.
For this environment variable ZLIB_SOURCE should be exported
(pointing to the actual location of zlib sources) or additional flag
should be passed on command line to bjam:
-sZLIB_SOURCE=X:/Y/zlib-1.2.3.
It would be nice to have configuration line in site-config.jam or
user-config.jam, e.g.:
path-constant ZLIB_SOURCE = X:/Y/zlib-1.2.3 ;
But this seems not to work.

Regards