Subject: Re: [boost] GGL Extensions
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-10 18:54:36

Tom Brinkman wrote:
>>> The GGL team proposes an extension model, very similar to what is
>>> used by GIL.
>
> I'm not sure that the extensions proposal worked very well for GIL.
> I'm not sure why.

This is interesting. Perhaps GIL maintainers could share their opinion?

> Probably it was too ambitious.

I've started to lurk around GIL extensions fairly recently,
so I'm not able to judge.

> Initially, just try encourage a small group of interested developers
> to work with you on extensions. When that number becomes too large,
> than start thinking about a more formalized system.
>
> If people see that there are a couple of really cool extensions that
> were intergrated, it might just encourage others to add extensions as
> well.

Good points.

Perhaps, in future, it would make sense to maintain two sets of extensions:
- internal or built-in tools specific to various domains
but mature enough to have them included as part of the library
- external - sort of incubator, place for more exotic tools,
experiments, etc.

Best regards,