Subject: Re: [boost] Official warnings policy?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-12 14:07:09

Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Stewart, Robert
> <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> >
> > If the purpose of the test is to show that variant triggers the same
> > warning as would an ordinary int-to-short assignment, getting the
> > warning here is a good thing.
> >
> > If the purpose of the test is to prove that assigning to variant has
> > the same runtime behavior as non-variant code, as I suggested
> > above, the warning is unwarranted noise.
>
> Lets assume it's the latter. Still, I don't think it is fair to label
> the warning as unwarranted noise. It would be noise if there were 200
> warnings reported from this test. Somewhere between 1 and 200,
> warnings can be classified as additional information, not noise.
>
> If a warning tells you that the code is incorrect (as in, you should
> have used short instead of int for the type of a given variable) then
> sure, it should be fixed. If it tells you that your correct code might
> be wrong, then seeing the warning is a good thing -- unless it becomes
> annoying at which point it is silenced for the sake of sanity.

In that case, the warning is noise. The test is using a small integer value that can be verified to fit in a short on any supported platform (is there a platform that wouldn't hold 58 in a short?). Having determined that 58 is a safe value for the int-to-short assignment test, one should silence the warning. Its continuing presence merely causes each person noticing it to examine the test to determine whether the warning is referring to a legitimate concern.

If the purpose of the test were to show that the assignment produces a warning as with non-variant code, then it would need to be documented accordingly so those noticing the warning can see that it is expected. Indeed, one might want an official Boost warnings-as-errors build mechanism to build normally and then scan for warnings after the fact, compare them to an expected warnings list, and report warnings not on the list rather than building with the warnings-as-errors flag. With that mechanism, such a test would be marked as producing an expected warning and the warning would not appear in the reported build status.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]