Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] We're halfway through the GGL review
From: Bruno Lalande (bruno.lalande_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-16 15:21:01

Hi,

> I also don't find it too obvious how the extention to 3d geometries is going
> to work, yet.

There are several cases:
1) Some concept/algorithm pairs are already fully dimension-agnostic,
like point/distance: you can ask the distance between two 2D points,
two 3D points, two 15D points if you want.
2) Some others are only handled in 2D. For them, the appropriate
algorithms will have to be extended with 3D versions (or agnostic
versions) of the algorithm.
3) Some 3D-related concepts don't even exist yet (fundamental ones,
like planes, or structured ones, like meshes). They will have to be
created (the *concepts*, not only one of their model) and appropriate
algorithms can then be implemented.

So to make things clear, when we say "GGL can be later extended for 3D
and other stuff", we're not stating that everything will magically fit
into case 2). Rather that we can rely on case 3) when needed to add
virtually a infinity of other geometry stuff without breaking
consistency.

Regards
Bruno