Subject: Re: [boost] Another GGL review
From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-17 09:40:13

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Jose,
>
> This is a very interesting subject indeed. I would be interested
> in solving spatial indexing in generic way myself.

In the past I've implemented the Zones Algorithm using b-trees instead
of sql, but I feel it is not a very good solution.
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=64524

I recall long ago checking an r-tree algorithm (maybe from
rtreeportal) that used persistent r-trees and it could potentially be
very nice but it's risky to use code that is not actively developed
because when you hit a problem you are stuck!

> I am not a member of Mapnik team, however I have spoken to Artem Pavlenko
> long time ago about generic geometry library and he
> was confirming high interest in this subject.
> In those times, the only usable alternative for GIS was GEOS.
> Artem was not very enthusiastic about using GEOS. Given that,
> I would assume Mapnik project would be a potential user of GGL.

great!