Subject: Re: [boost] [new Warnings policy] MS C4180 on the Maintenance Guidelines
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-18 19:56:53

   Emil Dotchevski wrote:

I thought that it was clear, I propose to replace all of the existing
warnings guidelines in the Wiki with the following: "No warnings
should be emitted by Boost code. Use your best judgment to either fix
or suppress the warning."

Actually, prompted by compile error in Boost Exception on GCC 3.4.5,
triggered by a warning "fix" made just prior to release (see
[1]http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3641) I think we should ban all
last minute changes (including warning "fixes") that are not
addressing *bugs*.

   Emil, judging by the last couple of weeks of discussion, I believe that you
   are hostile to the idea of spending any time looking at warnings, and think
   that no good will come from it. If you have to deal with them, because
   users might not like them, you would rather just suppress the warnings, or
   tell gcc that yours are system headers so that no warnings will appear.
   Then you would like a stated policy saying that suppressing is as good as
   fixing, and you're done. This is how you've fairly consistently come across
   <grin;>, and I'm just asking if this is indeed your position. Fair?
   Going farther, in this thread you seem to want to remove any help that
   people might have gotten from the wiki to understand their warnings and deal
   with them. Is that what you mean?
   Patrick