Subject: Re: [boost] Updating the Boost Review Process Was: [GGL] Bost.Polygon (GTL) vs GGL - rationale
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-20 14:32:35

I reacted on Luke's answer yesterday but I kept thinking about this all.

> [...] I went out of my way to be positive and friendly in my response, but I was concerned that your benchmark results would kill my library's chances in review, which they very nearly did. [...]

Luke, I want to make my apologies about all those benchmarks,
explicitly. Since last day, realizing your feelings, your real feelings,
I'm convinced now that I should not have published them during your
review. I regret this, and I want to apologize now. I measured things;
however, a week ago you opened my eyes, that within a night the reverse
could be measured.

Having read your open message, I first didn't believe you, honestly, but
after your answer I started to feel the threat you must have felt. We
wanted to be open with you, convince you and invite you, very true, but
all that together was unfortunate. I did not realize that because you
stayed friendly, as you've written. But now I'm feeling very sorry about
this all.

When your review was there, I first didn't want to vote but in the end I
did. I voted mainly based on my own benchmarks. But they can be
reversed. My description was way too explicit and inappropriate. I
apologize for that too. I would wish, if that would have been possible,
to retract my no-vote and all the objections I did express.

I was surprised, and I really appreciate, that you didn't mirror that,
you voted for accepting our library, with reservations, but in an
impartial way.

Yesterday I wrote that we should go on and you accepted that
immediately. Thanks for that, great, and again, I'm feeling very sorry.

Best regards, Barend