Subject: Re: [boost] new library boost.fiber in vault
From: Oliver Kowalke (k-oli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-21 03:59:05

OvermindDL1 wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Edd Dawson <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Sounds very similar to something I did a while back:
>> http://www.mr-edd.co.uk/?page_id=91
>>
>> It's rather late now, so I'll take a closer look tomorrow, perhaps.
>>

> Yea, I see that Boost.Coroutine in the vault right under that Boost.Fiber. :)
> Different styles of handling different things. They might be able to
> be merged together?

Beside fibers conceptually equivalent constructs are co-routines. A
co-routine can be seen as a
language-level construct while a fiber is a system-level construct.

Boost.Fiber is modeled after the interface of Boost.Thread and this API
is at least for me more convenient than co-routines
(that means I'm more familiar with the usage of threads) and Boost.Fiber
was written for support of Boost.Task (non-blocking
tasks inside the thread-pool).

I don't think that the libs should be merged.

regards,
Oliver