Subject: Re: [boost] new library boost.fiber in vault
From: Vicente Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-21 08:39:58

Oliver Kowalke-2 wrote:

> I've re factored boost.fiber (-> boost vault
> http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Concurrent%20Programming).
>

> The library provides a so called lightweight thread of execution (also
> known as user-space thread or fiber on WIN32).
> The API is modeled after boost.thread.
>
> Beside a scheduler (currently simple round-robin) for the fibers the
> library provides sync. primitives like mutex, condition- and
> event-variables (auto-reset, manual-reset, count-down). Message can be
> passed between fibers via bounded-/unbounded-fifo.
>
> Some feedback would be nice.

Just a remarks related to name space. Your namespace approach is mixed. From
one side you have boost::this_fiber namespace and boost::fiber class and the
namespace boost::fibers. IMO you should either put all on boost or on
boost::fibers but not both.

Instead of

boost::fiber f1=boost::fibers::make_fiber( some_fn);

I would prefer
boost::fiber f1=boost::make_fiber( some_fn);

I have also some questions related to the scheduler. How many schedulers can
be run on a thread? Do you have a use case of any interest to be able to run
more than one?

Could you talk about the need to migrate fibers from one thread to another?

Thanks,
Vicente