Subject: Re: [boost] Core libraries should separated from experimental libraries
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-21 10:10:08

> Indeed, "What about packaging issues?"
>
> From my point of view, as part of the Boost packaging team for Debian
> linux, 4 releases/year is killing me. Debian releases on a 1.5 - 2
> year cycle, so we spin through 6-8 Boost releases between stable
> Debian releases. Other linux distributions, although they release
> faster, experience similar churn.
>
> At this point, let me be perfectly clear: I'm not asking Boost to slow
> down the release cycle.

Why not? 2 releases/year doesn't sound that bad to me. However, it would reopen the question of maintenance releases. But at least in theory, it should be easy to create a separate branch for each major release in svn, after it has been released and before the changes for the next major release start to be merged to the release branch from trunk. The argument against this were test resources for the maintenance releases. I have no idea how this test resources issue could be addressed.

Regards,
Thomas