Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem]: infinite-recursion with symlink
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-24 08:35:19

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM, variadic.template <
variadic.template_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> While playing around with boost::filesystem and the
> recursive_directory_iterator, I'm
> running into a infinite-recursion caused by symlinks. Not following
> symlinks
> would be, a solution, of course,

That's the usual solution. Use the no_push() member to tell the
recursive_directory_iterator no to recurse into a directory.

> but...
> So, is there a way to ascertain the path where the symlink is aiming at?

Version 3, in the sandbox, has just such a feature.

> And a second question: I didn't find anything about permission-handling -
> are there any plans? In my eyes, this is something essential
> for a filesystem-library.

Not at the moment. We haven't figured out how to abstract away the
differences between POSIX and Windows approaches to permissions. Any ideas
appreciated.

--Beman