Subject: Re: [boost] [random] documentation rewrite
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-26 05:48:06

> I'm in the process of updating the Boost.Random documentation.
> I've put what I have right now at:
> http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~swatanabe/random_doc/libs/random/doc/html/
> The content is mostly the same as the current docs, although I've
> filled in some missing pieces and fixed some of the more egregious
> out of date docs. Any comments, criticism, etc, are welcome.

Great!

In "Uniform Random Number Generator" it says that the range can be fixed
only after the object is constructed, what values do max_value and min_value
have in that case?

In "Quasi-Random Number Generators" the text "[Does anyone have a model?] "
probably needs replacing with something?

In Table 1.5 what does the relative speed indicate? Is smaller better?
Or...?

Table 1.6 could use updating with more modern machines/compilers.

Table 1.7 has some entries with just a "?", you might find some help in
describing these distributions from
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/libs/math/doc/sf_and_dist/html/math_toolkit/dist/dist_ref/dists.html,
or then again you may not ;-)

In "Header <boost/random/additive_combine.hpp>" the synopsis flows off the
page, some of the others are probably too wide as well. I find generating a
PDF and then checking all the "No space for an element, trying to recover"
messages a good way to track these down. Might need some changes to the
code formatting to make these readable if they're Doxygen generated? Let me
know if you need help in PDF generation.

Performance section could probably use more up to date numbers.

I've only skimmed the reference section, but I did notice that the
lagged_fibanacci types lacked references.

Otherwise, looking much much better.

Keep up the good work, John.