Subject: Re: [boost] [random] documentation rewrite
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-26 11:21:28

> Larger is better. It's stated above the table. It appears to be scaled
> so that mt19937 is 100. I'll change the entries to match the Performance
> section, which has the heading "relative speed compared to fastest
> [percent]."
> Is that clearer?

Maybe ;-)

I always get confused by these kinds of performance comparisons. My
preference is for the fasted to be given a fixed score (say 1 or whatever),
and everything else then listed as relative to that. But there's no easy
way.

>> Table 1.6 could use updating with more modern machines/compilers.
>
> I'm working on generating quickbook automatically from the
> output of random_speed.cpp.

FYI Boost.Math does something similar in
libs/math/tools/process_perf_results.cpp.

>> In "Header <boost/random/additive_combine.hpp>" the synopsis flows off
>> the page, some of the others are probably too wide as well. I find
>> generating a PDF and then checking all the "No space for an element,
>> trying to recover" messages a good way to track these down. Might
>> need some changes to the code formatting to make these readable if
>> they're Doxygen generated? Let me know if you need help in PDF
>> generation.
>
> Fixing this will probably require changes to the BoostBook stylesheets.
> The original code is split onto multiple lines.

Oh :-(

I suspect this is Doxygen messing things up then, because there's nothing in
quickbook/boostbook/docbook that will change code formatting like this that
I know of.

Cheers, John.