Subject: Re: [boost] Core libraries should separated from experimentallibraries
From: Raymond Wan (r.wan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-27 05:13:10

Hi Christian,

Christian Schladetsch wrote:
> Coming from a game-dev background I think I have something to add here.
>
> It may be surprising, but traditional game development, rather than being
> all glamorous and using the latest technology, is quite the opposite. Sure,
> we use the latest hardware and API's, but those API's are often written in
> C, or, lately, very conservative C++.
>
> No game middleware that I am aware of uses even STL let alone boost.

Thank you for your insight...hopefully, it doesn't get you into trouble
with your former employers. :-)

My initial thought is that companies would want to use their own tools
because they can optimize it [in terms of speed] for what they need it
for. I think an often used English expression is to not re-invent the
wheel; but one reason for re-inventing the wheel is that you know
everything about the wheel [you made]... :-)

Ray